Thursday, March 25, 2010

Family Connections Continued

   Spring is here in Venice, Forida and the new leaves on our oak trees are so beautiful and green. I am using Family Tree Maker (FTM) and those green leaves are also beautiful as they have helped me gain new information for my Norwegian families: Bjerknes and Horgen.
   While I am not a shy person, taking a step to contact a stranger is not easy for me. However, once I do take the step, I look forward to getting a response and hope some of my questions are answered. I was so excited when Gerd Rabben responded very quickly in February!
   Since Gerd's responce to me, she has found many records and sent them to me for both Bjerknes and Horgen families. I also sent Bjerknes information to Gerd that she was missing. As a result of our collaboration, Gerd discovered that we have a common ancestor making us distant cousins: 10th cousins, 2 times removed. I now have a lot of new information to add in to my tree.
  I am very thankful the Digital Archives records have so much great information. I am able to access the Archives in English and the webpage translates to English. I wish I could read Norwegian.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations, Sue! You need to go to Norway now, to visit cousins and friends!! First step though... you have to learn norwegian. Hard to put cousins in to google to get them translated! hihi

    Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust me, if you work in the Norwegian Archive enough and with Gerd at your side, you will be understanding Norwegian before you know it! :) Your 9th cousin once removed...isn't that funny. PS. Gerd is seriously better at keeping track of everyone than DNA testing.

    ReplyDelete